Kali NetHunter is an Android ROM overlay for a rooted, supported device, that includes a robust Mobile Penetration Testing Platform. It comprises tools from Kali Linux as well as some additional android specific functionality. As well as a command line, it has the ability to get a full VNC session from your phone with access to these sophisticated tools for pen testing your environment or one you have permission to assess.
This article is about installing on the Nexus 7 with the pre-built image. If you have a compatible device you can turn it into a portable, dirt cheap penetration testing platform.
TL:DR— This requires an advanced understanding of Android firmware, and you may well have to flash your device back to OEM firmware more than once befode you can make it work so you should be proficient at that process but if you have a supported device it is a well maintained invaluable tool for the information security professional.
Step by step instructions
- Install TWRP
- % adb reboot recovery
- Sideload Magisk after downloading it from https://magisk.me/
- adb sideload Magisk-v22.1.apk
- Download Kali Linux for your device. https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-nethunter-download/ I chose Nexus 7 2013 Marshmallow (ZIP)
- Copy the zip to a USB stick, connect the USB stick to the Nexus 7, Choose Install, Select the USB Stick, find the Zip file and tap it. It takes 25-30 minutes.
- Install Magisk again using ADB or from the Play Store or the Magisk website adb install -r Magisk-v22.1.apk
- Run NetHunter, Grant SU permissions forever to everything it asks for
- Update nethunter.apk from the NetHunter Store
- Reboot and bingo NetHunter tools are available