iOS 12.5.1 fixes an issue where Exposure Notifications could incorrectly display logging profile language. Exposure Notifications was the one new feature in iOS 12.5, backported from later releases of iOS. It lets you opt-in to the COVID-19 Exposure Notifications system on your iPhone which enables Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing. System availability depends on support from your local public health authority. At the moment, the UK COVID-19 apps do not support iOS 12.5.1 iOS 12.5 also provided some security updates and Apple recommend it for all users of devices that can be updated to iOS 12.5 - iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch (6th generation).
TL:DR — Install right away. COVID-19 Exposure notifications system support, Bug fixes, and security fixes.
Step by step instructions
- Open 'Software Update' from 'Settings -> General'
- Download and install, a restart is required and it takes some time
- There is only one new screen in settings
- To enable it you need a supported COVID-19 app
- The UK apps currently do not support iOS 12.5
- Available for: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch (6th generation)
- Impact: Unauthorized code execution may lead to an authentication policy violation
- Description: This issue was addressed with improved checks.
- CVE-2020-27951: Apple
Confirming the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad has been updated
- Navigate to 'Settings'
- Select 'General'
- Select About
- Software Version will be '12.5'